2010 was a big year for me for the simple fact that I turned 30! To honor my milestone birthday, to celebrate myself and the woman I have fought and struggled and pinched and pulled and toiled and worked to become (and am STILL working to become...hey, it's a lifetime process right?), I decided to write down my own secrets of adulthood--30 of them for my 30 years of beautiful life. These are the things I know to be true.
|Secrets of Adulthood? Wise like Yoda, I am.|
Mama Leisha's 30 Secrets of Adulthood
1. Some people will like you, and some people won't. That is OKAY. The important thing is that you like yourself.
2. A "good hair day" usually means a "good day" in general.
3. You are never too old to play with dolls.
4. Kindness never hurt anyone. There's nothing wrong with being a little more kind.
5. Every woman needs a gorgeous pair of shoes she can feel sexy in!
6. Don't be afraid to love others. Open yourself up to loving the people around you.
7. Don't ever beat yourself up for eating chocolate cake for breakfast. Sometimes it ends up being the best part of your day!
8. There is nothing better--nothing more peaceful or more soothing--than rocking a sleeping baby in your arms.
9. Be honest. If you are, people will trust you. Trust is priceless.
10. Accessories are anti-depressants.
11. Prayer is EVERYTHING. It is remarkable and humbling to know that every single prayer I have ever uttered has been heard. There is incredible solace in that knowledge.
12. Epidurals are beautiful things!
13. Fight to find the joy in every day. Sometimes you will fight like hell, but you WILL find it. (A dear friend taught me that!)
14. Kissing a man who loves you deeply and unconditionally will make you feel pretty...even when you are wearing sweatpants.
15. The happy sound of children laughing has the ability to uplift the souls of those who hear it.
16. A good cry is cleansing.
17. A good friend is a treasured blessing.
18. Music makes a day better, dancing makes it great.
19. Texting will never replace the beauty of a "face to face" conversation.
20. Remember to say "I love you" often.
21. In my treasure chest of life, good books are the most precious gems!
22. Laugh and laugh often.
23. People remember how you make them feel.
24. The bathroom is the best place for crying, praying, hiding, decompressing, relaxing, screaming, unwinding, thinking, and regrouping.
25. Never underestimate the power of a lovely shade of lipstick. It not only brightens your face, it can brighten your day.
26. Everyone is a literal child of God, and we are all part of one great big heavenly family. We're not all that different. We're related.
27. It's hard to eat your vegetables when you are a kid. Guess what? It's hard to eat them as an adult too!
28. Stay positive. Be grateful. Speak sincerely. Be yourself.
29. Life if hard, but you can do things that are hard.
30. You only have one life. This is it. Make it count. This is your chance to work to be the best version of yourself.